There are three general types of shear handle designs and a couple of variations on those that you should know about before you buy your next pair of shears.
1. Opposing grip is the oldest design, and the least ergonomically correct. The problem with this design is, it forces your thumb underneath your ring finger, thus creating a tremendous amount of stress and pressure on your nerves and tendons.
2. Shear manufactures realized that moving the thumb forward was a more ergonomically correct way to make a shear and the "offset" handle was created. Better, but still not the best from an ergonomic standpoint.
3. Next the "full offset" or "crane grip" was developed. It moves your thumb from under your ring finger to under your index finger. This releases all the pressure and stress put on the nerves and tendons in your hand and thumb. ALL of our SHARK-FIN shears are made with the Crane grip. Also notice that we don't use screw on finger rests as they tend to fall off. Ours are part of the shear... one less thing to worry about.
4. The Shark Fin Swivel Thumb shear is far superior than any other swivel shear because of our patented handle design which allows the stylist to have more contact with the shear, thus allowing for unbelievable comfort, control and precise cutting.
The Shark-Fin swivel allows for the hand, wrist, arm and shoulder to be in a more natural position which translates into hours of comfortable cutting and less pain and fatigue associated with using a more traditional shear or a swivel shear without our Shark-Fin handle.
Benefits of Swivel
The wrist starts out bent, with the fingers pointed towards the floor. This is how you're cutting all day with a non-Swivel shear. Now as you rotate the shear, your wrist becomes straight, your shoulder and elbow will drop and you're now in a more natural cutting position. All stress and pressure is relieved with correct nerve and tendon alignment achieved.
With a non-swivel shear you start out with your wrist bent and your hand turned in towards your body. With our patented Shark-Fin shear you are able to rotate the shear... lock your middle finger against our Shark-Fin handle and straighten your wrist. You're now in a more natural cutting position. All stress and pressure is relieved with correct nerve and tendon alignment achieved.
Instead of your hand being bent in an unnatural position, simply lock your middle finger against our Shark-Fin handle and point your thumb towards the tip of the blades. Your wrist will be straight, putting you in a very comfortable cutting position.
5. The Patented Shark Fin Slider can help….. The sliding/rotating thumb allows for even greater freedom of movement for unmatched control and comfort. Relieving stress and tension in your hand. They are forged with hand welded 2 piece construction per blade to ensure excellent balance, great control and proper blade alignment. Combined with the comfort of our patented Shark Fin handle, these shears are a great choice for the professional stylist and are unlike any other swivel thumb shear on the market.
Patented Shear Fit Finger Fitting System As a professional stylist, you know that virtually all scissors are "one size" fits all fingers... until now. All SHARK-FIN shears come standard with our patented "SHEAR FIT"™ system, offering stylists finger-fitting comfort with every pair of shears!
Most stylists find themselves continually fighting to grip their shears. Not with Shear Fit! Now you can add or remove special finger guards as needed to fit your fingers PROPERLY. SHARK-FIN Shears come with 4-6 different guard sizes so that you can custom fit your Shark Fin® shear to fit your specific finger and thumb diameter size.