by Lisa Jay
Not enough hours in the day to get it all done? Make sure you're using your time wisely. Follow these ten time management techniques to find extra hours you didn't even know you had.
Time management seems to be an issue in almost everyone's lives as there never seems to be enough time in the day to complete all of the day to day tasks. Whether you are a stay at home parent, a work at home parent or you work outside of the home, I am sure that you could use a few more hours in your day.
Here are several time management tips that will help you to use those few precious hours that you do have wisely;
1. Get organized! I can't stress this enough. This is the first thing that absolutely needs to be done to improve your time management skills. Think about all of the time that is wasted looking for things; looking for papers, phone numbers, supplies.....your desk top
2. Identify your most productive time.
3. Make your "To Do" list the night before.
4. Find more time in the day. Need an extra hour in the day? Get up an hour early and have your first cup of coffee or tea sitting at the computer going through your e-mails, answering your e-mails and posting to forums. I call these my "day wasters".
5. Schedule it and stick with it. Write one thing that you will accomplish on each day of the week on your calendar. For instance, I file every Monday, do my online banking every Wednesday, update my web site on Friday.
6. Avoid the big "day wasters".
7. Household chores and house cleaning.
8. Do double duty.
9. Learn to "Just Say No!" I have run into the problem of people (hubby is my biggest diversion!) assuming that since I am a stay at home mom, I don't do anything all day but read or sit on the couch with my bag of potato chips and watch TV. I am often asked to run errands, watch someone's kids or volunteer. If I have a full week I simply tell them that my week is overbooked as it is and I can not do it.
10. Avoid interruptions.
By following a few of these simple time management suggestions, you should have another hour or two of time in your day to run your business or to just spend it enjoying your family.
Lisa Jay is a freelance writer and the jewelry designer behind Lantana Designwear. You can visit her website at http://www.JewelryMakingHQ.com